Monday, December 14, 2015

Singt Weihnachten!

Yesterday morning (Sunday 13 December) I went to a Christmas sing-along at the Lutheran Hauptkirche here in Wolfenbüttel.  The church, which I explored during my first week in town, is amazing.  It was built in 1608 as a Lutheran church after the Protestant Reformation.  Just a few tidbits: the baptismal font was cast in 1571 in Braunschweig, the wooden pulpit was built in 1623, and the organ is a 1950's reproduction of the 17th-century organ that was originally in the church.  You get the picture.
The Hauptkirche Beatae Mariae Virginis (BMV) in Wolfenbüttel
The Hauptkirche Beatae Mariae Virginis (BMV) in Wolfenbüttel
The Organ-- Gloria in Excelsis Deo
The Baptismal Font
Loved these bottle glass windows!
When I first visited the church, just to look inside and take photos, I was greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable man who told me the history of the building and showed me around to each of the notable monuments within.  He even gave me access to certain balconies that are not usually open to the public!

So on Sunday morning, I set off to join the church for some Christmas carols!  They passed out the music and lyrics, some of which I recognized immediately as songs we also sing in English.


"Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht!"--Silent night, Holy night!
"Hört, der Engel helle Lieder"-- Angels, We have heard on high!
Each song started with just violin, and then the organ started and that was our cue to SING!  Here is a taste of the music ("Hört, der Engel helle Lieder"-- Angels, We have heard on high!):


No comments:

Post a Comment