Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Cat-Sitting in the Ruth (and Research, Too!)

From June 13th-17th, I got to cat-sit for Edda in Bubenreuth while visiting the library in Nuremberg to prepare for my upcoming presentation at the library on the 20th (will post about that separately).  Edda had gone out of town for a few days, and her sweet fur-babies needed someone to take care of them!  She has two cats that look eerily like my own fur-babies.

Lucky is a black cat who basically rules the roost.  He comes and goes, struts around in the garden, and spends his afternoons sleeping on the sofa.  Looks a lot like Eleanor!




Edda inherited Rella when a former tenant could not keep her when he returned to China.  She is a fluffy little calico with a slightly flattened face.  Just like our Phoebe.





When you cat-sit in the Ruth, you also have to feed the hedgehogs behind the house.  Edda mixes up a special food for them, and takes it out in the evenings for the little critters.  They are mostly reclusive, but I did manage to catch a glimpse one night!


During the day, while the cats were taking their afternoon naps, I went into Nuremberg to work at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum (GNM) library.  (Here is the link to my previous post about my time in Nuremberg back in November.)  I was in the final days of preparation for a talk I was going to give back in Wolfenbüttel on the 20th, so I spent a lot of time finishing the paper, organizing the powerpoint, and checking on the details.

Because I was really in work-mode, I didn't do much site-seeing while I was there this time.  I did make time to go by St. Lorenz, which was totally beautiful again, and I made my way through the museum again.






It was a great trip, because I got to visit with Edda and her neighbor, practice my German, watch German soccer games with a real German who yelled at the TV, play with kitty cats, and get some work done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment